Crafts for summer: Sleeves and a Shirred Top tutorial

IMG_9081internet   
Crafts for summer: Sleeves and a Shirred Top tutorial
Sewing patterns
IMG_9048internet

And might I add, I just adore pants with ruffles on them! I made these for my daughter with some of that fabric I used on My Favorite Top. They are so cute on her and she always gets a ton of compliments when she wears them.

IMG_9022

To begin, I cut four pieces out of fabric. Two for the top and two for the sleeves. For the top, I made each piece (1/2 chest measurement x 2) for the width and then choose the length I wanted it to be. I kind of guessed with the sleeves, but you need to make sure that when folded in half, they are tall enough to go over the shoulder bringing the shirt at the place where you want it.

IMG_9023

Next, I folded the body pieces in half and used a shirt to cut arm holes on the side. Make sure to do this on the side of the fold that is open. Make sure to remember you need a seam allowance of at least .5" at the top to fold down. I made sure the shirt wasn't all the way on the fabric when using it for cut the arms because it isn't coming up to right below her neck.

IMG_9024

Then I made the exact same arm hole cuts on the folded sleeves.

IMG_9025

I wanted a fluttery sleeve, so I also trimmed the other side to achieve that look. If I were to do this again, I don't think I would do it because trying to turn the ends in and hem the edges was a pain.
IMG_9026


I took the front and back piece and folded the top down 1/4" toward the wrong side of the fabric. Iron it.

IMG_9028

Then folded it down 1/4" again, ironed, and sewed across.

IMG_9029

I forgot a pic, but then I shirred across the top of each piece.

IMG_9030

Then I matched up the sleeves to the top, making sure the right side were facing.

IMG_9031

This is what it looked like pinned on both body pieces.

IMG_9032

A pic from the other side. See how there is a part of the sleeve that doesn't touch the body pieces? That is the part that will go over the shoulder. If it's too short, then the shirt won't fit. If it's too long, you can probably fix it later by pulling it down underneath the body piece and sewing in place.

IMG_9033

Then I sewed them together.

IMG_9035

Then on both sides, I turned in the middle non sewed sleeve part a little bit.

IMG_9036

Then I turned it in again and sewed it.

IMG_9037

Then I pinned the sides together, right sides facing, and sewed down the sides underneath the arm pit. I also made sure to sew some of sleeve part as well. Just a little bit.

IMG_9038

Then I turned the sleeves edges under a bit and ironed......

IMG_9040

then I tried to turn it under again to conceal the raw edges, but it was giving me trouble. So I cut more fabric off. I got it to work, but it was still a mess. It's because of the curve at the top. The straighter the sleeve edge is, the easier it will be to turn under. Now, since I have a serger, I could just serge the edge, but I wanted to just use a regular sewing machine to share this.

Then I hemmed the bottom and that's it. It was a learning experience for sure :) I'm just glad it came out okay and wasn't a fail! I encourage you to try things out and experiment. You will grow and learn a lot from it, even if it might not turn out quite right.
IMG_9081internet 
Source: happytogethercreates.com
Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Xteen handmade : Xteen hand made | sách đan móc | crochet
Copyright © 2011. xteen handmade - All Rights Reserved
Chúng tôi chuyên Mua bán đồ hand made Mua bán nguyên phụ liệu hand made Cảm ơn các bạn ghé qua
Chúng tôi luôn chào đón bạn cùng niềm đam mê hand made